Welcome to the blog for Colgate University's interdisciplinary course on food. This is the place to keep up with what students in the course are experiencing in their work at Common Thread Community Farm and through their everyday encounters with food.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Potatoes

This past Wednesday I spent my entire time on the farm harvesting red and yellow potatoes. Being amongst potatoes for so long really got me thinking about the role that potatoes play in my life. An interesting fact about me is that I do not eat potatoes, except for the occasional sweet potato. Why you ask do I deprive myself of delicious French fries, potato salad, corn chowder, baked potato, and my mother’s famous potato casserole? To be honest I have always loved potatoes (probably a little too much). During my freshman year I ventured daily to the COOP for my favorite midnight snack, French fries. Unfortunately, as a Division I Track and Field athlete it was becoming more and more apparent that I needed to take my health and food choices more seriously. I do not know why, but my way of solving this problem was eliminating potatoes and beef from my diet.  It’s been almost three years since I had my last French fry from the Coop, or my last bite of my mother’s potato casserole. Over the past few years I have done a lot more research on good eating habits for athletes and I know I could easily go back to enjoying potatoes as long as I eat them in moderation. To be honest though I just do not think I can do it because it has become a habit for me and oddly enough an important part of myself (I know I’m weird). I get enough pleasure out of watching other people eat potatoes now then I ever did when I ate them myself. So with that being said, I would like to share with you my mother’s famous potato casserole recipe so I can live vicariously through you. Enjoy!

What your sexy self will need:

·       1 (32-ounce) package frozen Southern-style hash browns or 4 cups of fresh diced potatoes (parboil the potatoes for about 15 minute)
·       1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
·       1 16 oz carton of whipping cream
·       1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in ¼ cup of water
·       2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Sharp or cheddar cheese
·       1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
·       1 small onion, finely chopped
·       1/4 teaspoon pepper
·       2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
·       1/4 cup melted butter 
Preparation
  •          Stir together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
  •          Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crushed cornflakes, and drizzle evenly with butter.
  •          Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until bubbly.





No comments:

Post a Comment